Melon and avocado poke
This is refreshing and utterly summery. Unlike the British weather. (Here’s hoping the guys at the met office are right about that heat wave…) Poke (pronounced poke-keh) is a Hawaiian staple and can be found in many different guises, with chunks of tuna marinated in soy being the most popular and ubiquitous. This is a meat- and fish-free version and something I love eating whilst sat on my garden chair with the sun kissing my toes. It serves 4 as a starter, but I often eat the entire bowlful for lunch. Whatever you do, only attempt this if you can get your hands on seriously good melons.
Melon & avocado poké with nori crisps
Serves 4 as a starter
Ingredients for the nori crisps
2 sheets nori
white sesame seeds
Ingredients for the dressing
15ml (1 tablespoon) extra virgin olive oil
5ml (1 teaspoon) rice wine vinegar
5ml (1 teaspoon) toasted sesame oil
15ml (1 tablespoon) tamari
30ml (2 tablespoons) lemon juice
1/2 – 1 teaspoon raw honey
1 teaspoon each of white and black sesame seeds, plus more for garnish
pinch of dried chilli flakes (or to taste)
1 shallot, very finely chopped
1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
Ingredients for the poké
500g (3 1/2 cups) diced watermelon (or a mixture of melons)
2 ripe avocado, cut into small dice
large handful sugar snap peas, thinly sliced lengthways
1 spring onion, finely sliced
- For the nori crisps: Preheat the oven to 140°C (275°F). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. Place two sheets of nori, shiny side up, on a chopping board. Using a pastry brush, lightly brush one sheet with water, then press the other one firmly firmly on top to stick the two together.
- Now brush the uppermost sheet with sesame oil, sprinkle on some sea salt and sesame seeds, and using scissors or a sharp knife, cut the nori into thin strips.
- Arrange the strips in a single layer on the baking sheet and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until they have turned crispy and dark green. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- For the dressing: Combine all the ingredients in a jar and give it a good shake. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- To serve: Gently toss together the melon and other poké ingredients with the dressing and serve immediately topped with nori crisps.